Anyone who has met a french bulldog knows that they are full of personality. These small dogs are great companions and provide endless entertainment to their owners thanks to their quirky behavior. They often make great pets for dog lovers. For people who are interested in the French Bulldog as a new pet, or just want some information, there's plenty of basic information you can learn.
Traits of French Bulldogs
- Frenchies usually weigh somewhere between 19 and 28 pounds
- They can be found in a variety of colors
- Although they are stubborn sometimes, they are also affectionate and playful
- They really enjoy spending time with their owners
Best Qualities about Frenchies
- Low maintenance - grooming is rarely needed
- Minimal shedding, not excessive
- They don't require much physical activity, they aren't very active
- This breed is great for people who haven't owned a dog before
Negative qualities about Frenchies
- They can be very difficult to train. Because of this, housebreaking may take some time
- This breed may not be the best choice for kids. However, it may be fine if you get a puppy so it can grow up with your children
- If you're looking for a high-activity dog that will want to play outdoors a lot, Frenchies aren't the best choice
- They can have a variety of health problems
All dog breeds have some health problems, and French Bulldogs are no exception. They are prone to joint disease and heart defects. They can also develop eye problems and spine issues. Pregnancy in French Bulldogs often ends with Cesarean sections. This is because of complications caused by the puppies' heads being too large.
- Frenchies are brachycephalic, which means their face is somewhat flat. Because of this, their panting is inefficient. Then, they can become overheated, and as a result of that, their throats may swell up. They are prone to getting heatstroke, so owners should be careful not to leave them in hot weather for long.
- They can also have difficulty breathing if they are fed too much, and it can cause a swollen belly. Unfortunately, this breed is somewhat high maintenance due to these potential health issues, so that's something to consider if you're thinking about getting a French Bulldog.
Adopting a French Bulldog
Like adopting any breed of dog, choosing to adopt a French Bulldog takes careful consideration of what needs the dog may have and what you need to do to prepare. If you want to adopt French Bulldog, consider these factors.
- Keep in mind that Frenchies need to be kept in controlled climate environments. Their sensitivity to heat can be a problem if they are left outside in hot weather. Extreme temperatures are no good for them, so as long as you have air conditioning and a heating system, your home should be a fine place for a French Bulldog.
- Also be aware that they have a lot of difficulty with swimming, so if you live very close to a lake or pond, it may not be safe. Even a swimming pool can be a threat to a Frenchie, so be careful.
- If you have other pets, adopting shouldn't be a problem because the breed tends to be friendly. Occasionally they can be aggressive toward other animals, but most are fine. However, Frenchies can be stubborn, which means that housebreaking them isn't usually easy. If you're looking for a dog that won't require any training, perhaps consider a different breed.
Top 5 Routes for "French Bulldog"
- DogBreedInfo.com This website offers a lot of information about different topics regarding dog breeds, including French Bulldogs. It explores topics such as temperament, health problems, exercise, and origin.
- VetStreet.com This website is a great source of information and facts about French Bulldogs. It describes in detail what potential owners should know, and covers topics including the breed's history, health, grooming, and more.
- YourPurebredPuppy.com This webpage focuses on the temperament and personality of French Bulldogs and describes in detail what they are like. It seems to be a great resource for anyone looking to learn more about what the breed is like.
- AKC.org The AKC website is a great resource to find breed information. For anyone who needs the basic facts about French Bulldogs, this site is a good place to start.
- French Bull Dog Club This club is dedicated to the breed and provide both basic and advanced information about french bulldogs. If you're really interested, you can become a member with the club.
What is a Route?
A route is a gateway to learning. Routes.com's mission is to go beyond search results by curating summaries and top "routes" for today's most popular subjects. Learn More
Suggest a Route
Are we missing a subject you think should be given a route? Suggest a new route. Learn More
Become a routes.com contributor. Submit your route today! Learn More