There is nothing quite like the love a cat can give. Cats make awesome pets as long as they receive the proper care they need to be happy and healthy. Domesticated cats depend on their owners for many things including food, affection, shelter, water, veterinary care, litterbox and much more. Owning a cat is a great and rewarding experience because they quickly become part of the family.
Cat Care Essentials
For a cat owner to be prepared when they bring home their new furry friend there are a few essentials that they need for their cat including:
- Food and water dishes
- Healthy cat food and treats
- Nail clippers
- Scratching post
- Cat collar with ID tag
- Litter box
- Cat bed
- Cat Care Tips
Owning a cat requires time, money, care and routine chores to keep them physically healthy and mentally happy. A cat depends on its owner to make sure that its essential needs are taken care of. A few of the main guidelines for cat ownership include:
- Keep the cat indoors Keeping a cat inside helps to keep them safe by preventing a variety of issues from occurring including disease, unwanted litters, the cat from getting lost, injuries and more. If the cat needs to be transported somewhere a cat carrier or leash should be used.
- Identification A pet cat should wear a collar with the appropriate contact information so that it can be easily found if it gets outside. A cat can also be microchipped so that it can be returned easily.
- Healthy diet Pet owners should ask their vet about what type of foods that they should feed their cat and how much to keep them strong and a healthy weight. The cat should also have access to water always.
- Regular Checkups, Vaccinations and Vet Care It is important for cat owners to take their cat to the vet for routine health checkups. Cats should also have the required vaccinations to keep them safe from certain diseases. Having a cat spayed or neutered can also benefit their health and decrease the likelihood of unwanted litters. If the cat is exhibiting symptoms that may indicate an illness or health issue, they should be taken to the vet.
- Grooming Cats require regular grooming to keep their fur free of matts and their shedding and hairballs under control. Brushing a cat routinely can keep their skin healthy and their coat looking shiny. It can also indicate if fleas are present and need to be treated. Many cat owners will get their cats nails trimmed regularly. A cat may also require a bath every few months.
- Clean the Litter Box Regularly Cats are very particular animals about cleanliness. Most cats will instinctively use a litterbox as long as it is clean. The litterbox should be scooped out daily and the litter completely changed once a week. The litterbox should be washed out routinely as well.
- Entertainment Although cats are independent and can entertain themselves, having a few toys and scratching posts available for them allows them to be mentally and physically stimulated. A few inexpensive toys can include lasers, small balls and cat scratching perches can help keep a cat entertained and allow them to strengthen the bond with their owner.
Top 5 Routes for "Cat Care"
- ASPCA.org The American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals has a wealth of information available about how to properly care for a pet cat and keep it healthy and content.
- Lovethatpet.com This website is a great resource for all aspects of cat care including grooming, breeds, training, health and much more.
- Petmd.com This helpful site provides vet authored and approved information about many facets of cat care including health, diet, wellness, behavior and more.
- Pethelpful.com This website is chalk full of helpful tips and material about how to provide the best care for a cat. Visitors will find useful info about various cat breeds, training, behavior, nutrition, cat safety hazards and much more.
- Petsathome.com This site is a one-stop shop for everything a cat needs including food, toys, beds, carriers, scratching posts, grooming tools and more. Petsathome.com makes it easy to ensure that a pet cat has everything it needs to be happy and healthy.
What is a Route?
A route is a gateway to learning. Routes.com's mission is to go beyond search results by curating summaries and top "routes" for today's most popular subjects. Learn More
Suggest a Route
Are we missing a subject you think should be given a route? Suggest a new route. Learn More
Become a routes.com contributor. Submit your route today! Learn More